Indian beauty queen Harnaaz Sandhu was crowned Miss Universe 2021 in Eilat city of Isreal on December 13. The 21-year-old from Punjab was pitted against contestants from Paraguay and South Africa in the final round.
Who Is Harnaaz Sandhu? India’s Harnaaz Sandhu was crowned Miss Universe for the year 2021 on December 21. At an event held in Eilat, Isreal, Sandhu contested alongside contestants from as many as 80 nations.
2020 Miss Universe, Andrea Meza of Mexico crowned the 21-year-old model from Chandigarh, Punjab, whereas Nadia Ferreira of Paraguay and South Africa’s Lalela Mswane were named first and second runner-ups respectively.
Sandhu has brought the Miss Universe crown back to India after a hiatus of 21 years. Before her, it was Lara Dutta, who won the pageant in the year 2000. Dutta congratulated Sandhu on her win, writing in her tweet, “Congratulations @HarnaazSandhu03 !!! Welcome to the club!!! We’ve waited 21 long years for this!!! You make us SO SO proud!!! A billion dreams come true!!!”
Harnaaz Sandhu Wiki/Bio
- She is 21-years-old and is currently pursuing her Master’s degree in public administration.
- The Chandigarh-based model was crowned LIVA Miss Diva Universe 2021 recently.
- “It feels surreal and I cannot explain it in words how grateful I am to God and each and everyone who has been a part of my journey. But, along with the title comes a great responsibility to carry forward a legacy with utmost determination and passion”, she had said.
- “The challenges are definitely going to be there as no success path is easy. We have only 45 days to prepare and we are not leaving any stone unturned. There is a lot of work that is being done. It’s definitely going to be a roller-coaster ride but I’m ready for it as vision, hard work and goals are what create a winner,” she added.
- Sandhu has extensively worked in a few Punjabi films. These include the upcoming “Yaara Diyan Poo Baran” and “Bai Ji Kuttange”
- In an interview, she revealed that she was a victim of body shaming as she was very skinny but that experience made her very strong.
- She is quite active on Instagram. She has 71.7K followers there. “Shine like the whole Universe is yours”, reads her Instagram bio.
Sandhu has brought the Miss Universe crown back to India after 21 years. The last Indian woman to win this contest was Lara Dutta, who won the crown in 2000.
Andrea Meza, former Miss Universe 2020, who hails from Mexico, presented Sandhu with the crown. Sandhu represented India at the 70th edition of the pageant after being crowned Miss India Universe 2021 in October this year.
Nadia Ferreira of Paraguay was the first runner-up, while Lalela Mswane of South Africa was the second runner-up at the pageant.
Sandhu is currently pursuing a Master’s degree in the field of public administration. Sandhu has over 309,000 followers on Instagram and is known to have worked in Punjabi films such as Bai Ji Kuttange and Yaara Diya Poo Baran
Prior to stepping out to represent India at the Miss Universe pageant, Sandhu had shared a note of gratitude for all those who had been a part of her journey building up to the global pageant. “It has never been my journey, it has been Our journey. I began with baby steps and as I come closer to the end, I wish to thank all my panelists for being an intergral part of my learning. I thank my designers for making me shine at the pageant. Thank you for moulding me into the girl you see on stage today,” she captioned her post.
In the statement shared Sandhu thanked her family for standing by her always. “Thank you to all my panelists & designers who have put together so beautifully this woman who now stands in front of you.”
In another post shared on Instagram prior to the event, Sandhu could be seen offering prayers at the Golden Temple in Amritsar. “Faith is unseen. It’s felt. It’s the feeling I have in my heart today. I have faith in God, my family and the blessings you all have showered on me. I have enjoyed my journey and as we near the end of this beautiful pageant, I want to re live memories with my family, my Punjab. I want you all to know, that Im grateful for each and every one of you and for all the experiences I had in these 1.5 months,” she captioned this post.
Have a look at some of Harnaaz Sandhu Inspiring Quotes
Her winning answer
“The biggest pressure the youth today is facing, is to believe in themselves, to know that you are unique makes you beautiful. Stop comparing yourselves with others and let’s talk about more important things that are happening worldwide Come out, speak for yourself, because you are the leader of your life. You are the voice of your own. I believe in myself and that is why I am standing here today.”
Meaning of her name
“My name Harnaaz means ‘god’s pride’. I want to make India proud by bringing home the crown.”
Challenges faced during Miss Universe journey.
“The challenges are definitely going to be there as no success path is easy. We have only 45 days to prepare and we are not leaving any stones unturned,” adding, “It’s definitely a roller coaster ride but I’m ready for it as vision, hard work and goals are what create a winner.”
On climate change
“Honestly, my heart breaks to see how nature is going through a lot of problems, and it’s all due to our irresponsible behavior. This is the time to take actions and talk less, because each action could either kill or save nature. Prevent and protect is better than repent and repair, and this is what I’m trying to convince you guys today.”
On choosing characters at work
“I always choose strong characters because I want to break stereotypes of what women are and what they can be.”